OFFICE BEARERS 2017-2018

Kerry Kinnane

President

P: 0419313683

Ray Brown

Asst. Secretary

Publicity Officer

P: 0407437046

Bill Butterworth

Men’s Match

Committee

P: 0466049533

Marcia McGrillen

Vice President

P:0357432284

 

Shirley Hummel

Treasurer

P: 0423182917

Cathy Spinks

Ladies Match

Committee

P: 57433111

Anne Miles

Club Coach

P: 0427732258

Peter Lidgerwood

Secretary

P: 0409759579

Daniel McNeil

Committee Member

P: 0427950405

Ray Irvine

Greens Director

P:0427441548

DELEGATE

Kerry Kinnane

LADIES MATCH COMMITTEE
Betty Richmond, Carolyn Boston, Robyn Balfour, 

MENS MATCH COMMITTEE
Ray Irvine, Peter Valardo, Garry Hart, Les Balfour

WEEKEND PENNANT SELECTION COMMITTEE
Chairperson John McGough, , Ian Morffew, Ray Brown, Daryl Richmond, Wayne Knowles

MIDWEEK PENNANT SELECTION COMMITTEE
Chairperson Loraine Stone, John McGough, Mary Essex, Daryl Richmond Anne Miles, 

GREENS KEEPER
Warrick Henderson

NATIONAL UMPIRES
Laureen Smith (ITO) Carolyn Boston, Marie Whitehead, Shirley Hummel

SOCIAL COMMITTEE
Chairperson Ben Nowell

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE BOWLS CLUB

In 1954 at a meeting of the Yarrawonga & Border Golf Club, a decision was made to construct a bowling green to provide members with a facility enabling them to play an alternative game in the summer months when the golf links were closed. Guidance was sought from Mr. Lowe the Royal Victorian Bowls Association Greens Director at the time, and construction commenced with a group of interested club members providing most of the labour for the project.

The inaugural meeting of the Bowls Section chaired by Golf Club President Dr. George van Nooten was held on 19th August 1956. The first Committee of Messrs. Colin Baillie, Alan Baird, John Gorman, Ern Maxwell, Len Rae and Lloyd Taylor was elected and it was decided that the club would join the Ovens and Murray Bowling Association. Mr. Lloyd Taylor was appointed Greens Director. Until 1959 the Golf Club President presided at all meetings.

The bowling green, later in 1964 to be named the “John Gorman Green” in recognition of John’s great contribution to the Bowls Club, was officially opened by Golf Club President Dr. George van Nooten on 13th October 1956. The Associates held their opening day on 16th October 1956 and at a meeting convened by the Golf Club Associates President Mrs. Gwen Palframan (formerly Miller) on 21st October 1956 a Bowling Associates sub-committee was formed.

At a Committee Meeting in March 1959 a decision was made to enter a Yarrawonga and Border Golf Club bowls team for the 1959-1960 Ovens and Murray pennant season. In 1960 a second bent grass green was constructed by Greenkeeper Reg West and ground staff. This green opened for play the following year and was later in 1964 named the “ George van Nooten Green” in recognition of Dr. George van Nooten’s service to bowls as President of the Golf Club when the Bowls Section was first formed and later Greens Director for some years.

In 1979-80 the “George van Nooten Green” was converted to tift dwarf couch grass as was the “John Gorman Green” when relocated to its present position in 1981 to allow for extensions to the Clubhouse. From 1956 – 1963 all meetings of the Bowling Associates were presided over by the Golf Club Associates President. Thereafter the Bowling Associates Vice-President presided over all bowling club meetings and functions until in 1986 the Board of Directors of the Yarrawonga & Border Golf Club decided to allow lady bowlers to operate independently under their own President and Committee.

The Ladies’ Bowls Section for the first time in 1969-1970 entered a team in the Ovens and Murray District Ladies Bowls Association pennant competition. On 23rd March 2015, at a combined Special General Meeting of the Men’s Bowls Section and the Ladies’ Bowls Section members voted in favour of unification and new by-laws were adopted.

IMAGE GALLERY

BOWLS CLUB SPONSOR